Essay Writing By Gabi Duigu is a fully comprehensive resource for passing IELTS Writing Task 2 section of the IELTS test with a grade of 6.5-7.0 or higher.
For most students sitting the IELTS Test, Writing Task 2 is the most difficult part of the IELTS test.
This book will help IELTS learns hike up IELTS Writing score by describing a step-by-step approach to writing essays for the IELTS Academic Writing Module Task 2 and for other similar essay tasks. It also provides exercises to practise the stages individually as well as giving a list of typical essay topics, and there are model essays. The Answer Key provides explanations as well as answers.
■ takes you step by step through all the stages of essay writing:
• analysing the topic
• finding the right ideas
• organising the ideas
• using the right language
■ provides precise and practical explanations of the
principles of essay writing
■ gives plenty of examples and models
■ gives meaningful and directly relevant exercises, with clear, objective and explanatory answers in the Answer Key.
SELF STUDY USE:
Students will find that it is easy to use this book for self study.
This book has been extensively used in classrooms. It is highly effective for discussion and group work in class. This is a companion book toVisuals: Writing about Graphs, Tables and Diagrams.
Stage 1: The Question
1. Understanding the Question
2. Analysing the Question
Stage 2: Selecting and presenting ideas
3. Finding ideas (Brainstorming, finding more ideas, using examples, the “what if not” situation, looking at the other side)
4. Selecting ideas (Solutions to Problems, evaluation, classification of ideas, types of classification, selecting relevant ideas, level of generalization, overgeneralisation and exaggeration)
5. Organizing ideas (Ranking ideas, consequences, comparisons, alternatives, speculation)
Stage 3: Writing
6. Using the right grammar, vocabulary and style
7. The Sections of the essay (The introduction, the body, the conclusion)
8. Style (Modifiers, overgeneralization, overemphasis, understatement and confusion, waffle, formulaic and thoughtless writing, immature writing, cultural differences in style)
9. Proof reading
Gabi Duigu has been teaching English for Academic Purposes and Test Preparation in many countries, and to students from even more countries,
for over 30 years.
She has been an IELTS examiner since 1990.
Download Essay Writing (Ebook) Mirror 1
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.Get all the latest updates/lessons via email:
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Did not See What You Were Looking For? - Try Search!
Essay Writing By Gabi Duigu (Ebook)5 (100%) 1 vote
You will be allowed 1 hour to complete two tasks in the IELTS Academic Writing test.
The two parts of this practice Writing test are presented on two separate web pages. Make sure you move swiftly from one page to the next so that your practice is as realistic as possible. If you prefer to work offline, download the test paper.
In the actual test you will do your writing in an answer booklet.
The total time allowed for the IELTS Academic Writing test is 60 minutes.
Time yourself and allow just one hour to complete both parts of the test.
Task 2 contributes twice as much as task 1 to the Writing score.
Writing task 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on task 1
- write in a formal style
- write at least 150 words
Writing task 2
You should spend about 40 minutes on task 2
- write in a formal style
- write at least 250 words
Instructions to candidates
In the actual test you will be given the following instructions:
- do not open this question paper until you are told to do so
- write your name and candidate number in the spaces at the top of this page
- read the instructions for each task carefully
- answer both of the tasks
- write at least 150 words for task 1
- write at least 250 words for task 2
- write your answers in the answer booklet
- write clearly in pen or pencil; you may make alterations, but make sure your work is easy to read
At the end of the test, hand in both the question paper and your answer booklet.
Once you have completed both tasks, review your work. Download the model answers to see good examples of how to complete the Writing test.